September 30, 2008

CORH for 9/29

(My friends and I began a conversation of scripture over the summer, nicknamed "The Church of Rediculous Heresy" for our differing theological views views and struggles with our churches. I'd like to start blogging the amazing truths God is reveaing to me from His Word through these meetings.)

Last week we began a new text, the book of 1 Thessalonians. We chose 1 Thessalonians primarily because it can often be one of the "throwaway books" of the NT, lodged between the powerhouses of Paul (Romans - Colossians) and Paul's pastoral letters. We started with chapter 1, and Laura floored me with the realization that so many of our firends have fallen away from the faith. Combining that with going to a hookah lounge with some of Krissi's old friends, and I have been overcome lately with sadness over my college career - I spent so much of my time with Christians, and even some of them have fallen away, not to mention the non-Christians I didn't spend time with. That sets the context for this week.

"For you yourselves know, brothers, that our coming to you was not in vain. But though we had already suffered and been shamefully treated at Philippi, as you know, we had boldness in our God to declare to you the gospel of God in the midst of much conflict. For our appeal does not spring from error or impurity or any attempt to deceive, but just as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, so we speak, not to please man, but to please God who tests our hearts. For we never came with words of flattery, as you know, nor with a pretext for greed— God is witness. Nor did we seek glory from people, whether from you or from others, though we could have made demands as apostles of Christ. But we were gentle among you, like a nursing mother taking care of her own children. So, being affectionately desirous of you, we were ready to share with you not only the gospel of God but also our own selves, because you had become very dear to us." (1 Thessalonians 2:1-8)

One of the first things to hit me (because of my recent wonderings, no doubt) was the frequency in both of these first 2 chapters of "the gospel of God" or "the word of God". The passage is basically a defense of Paul's intentions in sharing the gospel with people. Aaron helped break it down into a sermon-like outline:
  • message
  • motivation
  • method

First, the message of the gospel must be pure. Of course, this is something at the CORH that isn't completely solid (we have a number of denominations and a wide range of beliefs), but for me, this speaks to the basic tennants of Christianity. We must soak ourselves in the Word of God (4) so that we do not lose hold of the gospel.

Second, the motivation behind sharing the gospel must be godly. This was the big one we discussed. Paul assures them he does not seek to sow error among them (3), and he repeats an argument he uses elsewhere where he does not take money or position from those he leads so that he cannot be accused of preaching for greed (5-6). We talked about how Paul protects the gospel by doing this, and how we might also protect the gospel. This discussion revolved around keeping our "witness" pure (integrity), but that has often become churchspeak for simply living a life where we don't air our dirty laundry. Instead, we spoke about being transparent - attempting to seek a moral and holy life, but being open about our failures. Likewise, verse 8 crushed us. Paul writes this letter months or years removed from his time with the Thessalonians. I am mere months away from my time at FSU, and geographically I am closer than I have ever been. Yet my passion for that campus has fallen off a cliff. Paul, however, is "affectionately desirous", like a mother for her children, of them. You see in the beginning of almost every one of his letters that he prays desperately for these flocks. This is awesome! I am still turning over in my mind a conversation I had with Aaron about the motivations for helping people (works as gateway to the gospel?).

Third, the method of sharing the gospel is contextual to the area and the people, so long as it does not compromise the first 2. Again, verse 8 knocks it out of the park. Paul packages the gospel with his very self. He invests himself for years with people, working with them, struggling with them, and teaching them. Laura told a story about someone going to seminary in New Orleans who moved into one of the worst neighborhoods in the city and invested his life there because he loved those people. Again, this shames my ideas about moving into Frenchtown. I believe Christ calls us, when we are told to take up our cross, to find the specific sacrifice that will reach people for Jesus that we can do, just as His situation called for Him to take on sin for all of us.

All in all, I must not lose my heart for Tallahassee, and for our lost friends. One thing I resolved to do this week is to not repeat this mistake when we move to St. Louis. I want to get involved in some class or hobby where I'm not surrounded by Christians 24/7, and stick with it. I want to fall in love with that city instead of simply wanting to move on again.

No comments: